Your CV, or Curriculum Vitae, is often the first impression a potential employer will have of you. It is a document that outlines your education, work experience, skills, and accomplishments. A well-written CV can be the key to landing your dream job, but how do you create a perfect CV? Here are some tips to help you write a CV that stands out:
1. Tailor your CV to the job: Before you start writing your CV, research the job you're applying for and tailor your CV to match the requirements of the position. This will help you show how your skills and experience align with the needs of the company.
2. Keep it concise: Recruiters and hiring managers often have to review a large number of CVs, so make sure your CV is easy to read and to the point. Keep it to one or two pages, and use bullet points to make it easy to skim.
3. Highlight your achievements: Instead of simply listing your responsibilities, highlight your accomplishments and the impact you've had on your previous employers. Use quantifiable data, such as percentages, numbers and figures to demonstrate your success.
4. Use keywords: Many companies use applicant tracking systems (ATS) to screen CVs. These systems use keywords to scan CVs and match them to the job requirements. Make sure to include relevant keywords from the job description in your CV.
5. Include a personal statement: A personal statement is a brief summary of your skills, experience, and qualifications that should be included at the top of your CV. It gives recruiters a quick overview of who you are and what you can bring to the company.
6. Use a professional format: Use a clean and professional format for your CV. Choose a font and layout that is easy to read and make sure there are no typos or grammatical errors.
7. Proofread: Before submitting your CV, make sure to proofread it thoroughly. Ask someone else to read it over as well, as a fresh pair of eyes can often catch mistakes you might have missed.
Looking for some professional advice on your current CV?
We offer CV audits to help you perfect your current CV, so you can go on to get more job interviews! What's included?
The 3 CV secrets no employer wants you to know about (but are vital for landing your dream job!)
How you can optimise your CV to get another 5 interviews in the next 90 days
The top mistakes people make when writing their CV (and what to do instead)
The fatal design flaw that make employers throw your CV in the bin without even reading it (and how to quickly fix it!)